Cinnamon rolls are a popular pastry in many countries. They can be found in Central Europe, Scandinavia (and we mean not only Ikea) and North America. As an absolute fans of American desserts, the American version of the cinnamon rolls is our favourite one. Properly prepared, it is super soft, juicy and fluffy and with the right topping (frosting) incredibly tasty.
The most famous cinnamon roll in America is baked by the retail chain “Cinnabon”. A instruction how to bake these amazing delicious cinnamon rolls, you can find here.
Original American cinnamon rolls
» Servings: 14
» Time: 40 min
For the dough:
240 ml of warm milk
80 g of butter, melted
2 eggs, room temperature
600 g flour
100 g of sugar
20 g of fresh yeast
1 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
240 g of brown sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
75 g butter, soft
For the topping:
90 g of fresh cheese
50 g butter, soft
200 g powdered sugar
1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
1/8 Tsp salt
- Knet the flour, yeast (dissolve the yeast in a little bit of milk and a table spoon of sugar before adding), milk, sugar and butter to a smooth dough and let it go for about 60 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle (about 40cm x 55cm)
- Sprinkle the melted butter on the rolled dough. Blend the sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl. Spread the sugar-cinnamon mixture over the dough.
- Roll up the dough on the long side and cut it into approx. 2 cm slices. Slightly place them with just a small distance to each other in a casserole dish. Cover and let it stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven and bake it for 20 minutes at 180 ° C.
- While being prepare to topping: Beat together butter, cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract and salt.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, allow the cinnamon rolls to cool down until they are lukewarm, stew with topping and serve.
- If you don’t eat the rolls immediately, let them cool down. Before serving briefly put them into the microwave (40 sec, 600 watts) and then cover them with the topping.
- If you want, you can also eat the cinnamon rolls cold of course. The cold rolls are also delicious and do not taste as sweet.
- Make sure that the rolls are close to each other after 30 minutes rating in the casserole, so they remain juicy and soft during baking.