Do you need a lot of energy for the day? This warm hearty breakfast is exactly the right start in the new day. That was already known to the ranchers in Mexico. Therefore you can find Huevos Rancheros on the breakfast table in many rural farms in Mexico.
Huevos Rancheros (Spanish for “Ranger’s eggs”) are typically prepared with a spicy tomato sauce and sometimes served on a tortilla. Often is this combination accompanied by fresh Guacamole.
We love this as a late breakfast at the weekend when we have more time to peacefully enjoy this tasty combination, or on these days when we get out of bed late and breakfast turns into our lunch. Perhaps you experience these days as well sometimes, try this to have the right start.
» Serves: 2
» Time: 25 mins
1 Can of whole tomatoes (400 g)
1 Big onion
1 Garlic clove
2 Spring onion sprouts
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tsp Paprika powder (sweet)
1 tbsp Smoked paprika powder
This dish goes very well with freshly made Guacamole – you can find the recipe here.
- Start with cutting the onion and the garlic in small cubes.
- Secondly, heat an olive oil in the pan and fry the garlic and onion cubes approximately 5 minutes. Add the paprika powder and chilli powder, mix thoroughly and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes into the mixture and let is cook at a medium heat for about 7 minutes until the tomatoes are falling apart and the sauce thickens.
- Make four holes in the sauce and carefully place the eggs in the prepared space. Afterwards, sprinkle them with salt and pepper significantly.
- Let it all cook with the lid on top at a medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes.
- In the meantime, warm up the tortillas (place them shortly in the microwave or in hot dry pan).
- Finally, when the eggs are ready, sprinkle them with chopped spring onions and finely chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve the eggs with warm tortillas and fresh guacamole.
- Use fresh coriander that will crown the dish with its special and fresh aroma. If you don’t like coriander, try using fresh parsley to add those refreshing notes.
- To achieve perfect results, do not let the eggs cook too long. Before you serve them, they will cook in the residual warmth under the lid and not only will they remain soft, but also will not become dry.
- You can use fresh tomatoes (800 g) as well. In that case, make sure you blanche them before you start cooking.