It is not quite clear, where the French toast comes from. Long before the name “French toast” arose, one could find similar recipes all over the world. In England it was called “Poor Knights”, in France “Pain Perdu” and in Germany “Arme Ritter”. Nowadays, most people know French toast as a sweet American breakfast dish, which is served with butter, maple syrup and powdered sugar.
Originally, old bread was used for French toast or Poor Knight, so one could save money and at the same time benefit from the side effect, that the dry bread does not allow the Egg-milk mixture to soak in so intensively.
We also fell for this heavenly breakfast. Even though there are healthier ways to start the day, we let us get carried away from time to time. On those mornings our kitchen gets filled with the smell and aroma of freshly cooked coffee, vanilla, cinnamon and melted butter. Like a dream!
Of course you can serve to French toast what you want or what you just have at home. We have a very specific favorite variation that we want to share with you. Here is our French Toast recipe.
French toast recipe
» Serves: 2
» Time: 20 mins
4-6 Toast or old bread slices
150 ml Milk
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
4 Drops Vanilla Extract
1 Pinch of cinnamon
1 Pinch of nutmeg (freshly grated)
1 Pinch of salt
Butter (very tasty is also Coconut oil) for frying
For the topping:
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
150 g Strawberries
150 g Blueberries
- Firstly, stir the egg with a fork and add milk, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mix the whole thing well.
- Afterwards, quarter the strawberries and crush the walnuts are crushed by putting them in a bag and smash a few times with meat hammer or a pan.
- Thirdly, dip and immerse the bread slices completely in the mixture, so they are fully soaked (approximately 30 seconds).
- Preheat the pan and fry the slices of toast bread on medium heat from both sides until they are golden brown.
- Place two toasts on the plate. Set a few halved strawberries and a few blueberries and banana slices. In the end, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, a few crushed walnuts and pour a bit of honey over it.
- Another delicious variation is French toast with maple syrup and fried bacon. It sounds a bit odd, but is incredibly delicious!
- Instead of toast you can also use slices of old bread. And you have “Poor Knight”.
- French Toast to go: You can let the toast cool and create sandwich with banana or chocolate cream filling.