Normally we are at breakfast during the week always a bit unimaginative. It should be quick, it should be delicious and best still healthy. Often, therefore, our breakfast consists only of a bowl of oatmeal, a bit of warm milk, and a few fruits that are just within our reach. The whole is indeed quite delicious and fulfills all criteria for a healthy breakfast, but eating this every day can be quite monotonous. So we thought about what alternatives we have to spice up our breakfast from time to time. Healthy, tasty, quick …? The answer is Bircher Muesli. What in never missing in a supermarket or at a bakery in Switzerland is probably not very common with us. This is a pity because this Swiss breakfast is extremely tasty and is very healthy with its many roughage. Luckily, the recipe is not particularly difficult and Bircher muesli is easy to make.
The Bircher Müsli was invented by the Swiss physician Maximilian Bircher-Benner, who helped patients to improve digestion in his Zurich Sanatorium “Lebendige Kraft” in 1902. He was inspired by a dairymaid who hosted him during a mountain hike and served him a traditional Shepard meal. The cereal.
If you want to bring a bit of variety in your dreary breakfast day and nevertheless do not want to give up on a healthy start in the day, try it on the Swiss alpine shepard style and test our original Bircher muesli recipe.
ORIGINAL BIRCHER MUESLI RECIPE
» Serves: 4
» Duration: 10 mins (+ approx. 4 hours resting time)
250 g oatmeal
350 ml milk
300 g natural yogurt
50 g almond (chopped)
60 g raisins
2 medium-sized apples
3 tbsp lemon juice
4-5 tbsp honey
- First give the oatmeal, the milk, the raisins, the almonds, the lemon juice and the honey in a bowl.
- Subsequently, you rub the two apples into fine strips and add them also.
- Let it rest for at least 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Add the yogurt and season the whole mixture with a bit of cinnamon and if it is not sweet enough, with honey.
- Serve the Bircher muesli with fresh fruit. A good start into the day!
- Bircher muesli can be combined with all kinds of fruit. Add just what you like before you serve: banana, raspberries, strawberries, grapes …
- The best taste of the muesli you get when you let it rest overnight, and in the morning just add the yogurt and the fresh fruit.
- Very delicious in the morning with a cup of herbal tea.